Preparing Your Home for Summer
It’s officially spring in Northern California, which means the cold weather is behind us and you’ve begun to look forward to summer.
But before the heat arrives, here are a few tasks to get done to make sure your home is as energy efficient as it possibly can be this summer.
In the summer, your windows are one of the largest sources of heat-gain in your home. They let in the sun’s heat and trap it inside (much like a greenhouse.)
Broken seals and worn weather stripping around windows also let your air conditioned air outside. Here are some tasks to consider to make your windows more energy efficient:
- Re-seal around exterior windows
- Install more energy-efficient, double-pane windows
- Install window coverings to use during the day to keep heat out
- Fix/replace window screens to let in cool air during the evening
There are a few things to consider when programming your thermostat before summer arrives to ensure your home is energy efficient and comfortable.
- Change your thermostat to “cool” setting
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Consider a zoned heating and cooling system
Your Air Conditioning System
There are several things you can do to your air conditioning system to make sure it runs safely and efficiently all summer.
- Get your annual air conditioning tune-up
- Change your air filter
- Find and fix common air duct problems
- Consider installing additional attic insulation
Although we may still have a few days of cooler weather this spring, the heat will be here before you know it. By taking the time to complete these tasks now, you can ensure your home is energy efficient and comfortable throughout the summer this year.
Service Champions, your local heating and air conditioning company, serves San Jose, Sacramento, East Bay and the surrounding areas. For more information on any of our products or services, contact us online.